Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Wholesome Zombie-Hood



author's note:

I'm not too aware of what's in our current crop of zombie TV shows and movies...

But apparently, the zombie is still "the other guy" and not ourselves.


WHOLESOME ZOMBIE-HOOD

Though I've spent
so much time mining
down in this cave
I regret to say
I can't yet
provide a guidebook

but if a few of you
now feel the need
to descend into this basement
--this dungeon--
I can give some encouragement:

though others may worry about you,
don't worry yourself--

that blank stare comes from
the eyes having turned inward

and that blank in your mouth happens
when the zombie listens deeper down.

Yes, your walk may feel robotic
but even when sequestered thus
the need for decorum may require us
to go through our usual motions...
heroic.

This passageway
has existed for ages

but today
we have no horrific rituals
to take us into and through
such catacombs
so we must perform the sacrifice
ourselves:

I'm my own
               undertaker--
I am the midwife
at my own birth.

Don't worry, undertakers:
this grave has just enough space
to keep us alive
as we finally put to rest
what must die;

don't worry, midwives:
after we've grown enough
the lack of room in this womb
will force us to break out--
to sprout.

Don't worry, zombies:
this tomb supplies good nourishment
so we will climb from our crypt
--our crib--
feeling refreshed, feeling strong

and then, darkly wholesome.


© 2014, Michael R. Patton
another Glorious Tedious promo

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home