Wednesday, March 05, 2014

A New Sisyphus



author's note:

I've decided to alter the Sisyphus myth of the ancient Greeks...

I think we need something more encouraging--to my mind, a better truth.


THE NEW SISYPHUS

I present myself as an exhibit
of a necessary human hunger--

necessary, even though
this drive nearly kills us--kills me:

I move my feet
so as not to be devoured
by my hunger--
I climb mountains
desperately trying to satisfy
its goading goatlike appetite:

it demands more
no matter how high I go.

In my blind innocence
I feel my way along
and every strong round stone I touch
becomes part of my sustenance--

every watery cave becomes a cookstove.

Now I love
even the tedious steps
having come to realize
each one nourishes me.

So, I'm not disappointed
when I reach the mountain top
and still feel the yearning--

no, I can hardly wait for Morning
when I again begin at the bottom
of yet another mountain--

another, but with its base
rising from the peak of the last.

I can't rest in this struggle
to feed my driving hunger
but without this desire
I wouldn't be alive...


© 2014, Michael R. Patton
Glorious Tedious

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home