Sunday, March 02, 2014

Our Search for the Abominable Snowman



author’s note:

I no longer entertain the idea that Sasquatch, or Bigfoot, or the Abominable Snowman might exist as physical realities.

But I do believe people witness these creatures.


OUR SEARCH FOR THE ABOMINABLE SNOWMAN

What drives us
to search for the Snowman
round and round this mountain
every swirling Winter?

After all, our efforts
wouldn't seem to add up to much:
his footprints disappear
in the snow dust
before we can track him down.

But despite the frustrations of our hunt,
by Spring, my companions and I
feel a strange satisfaction

as we follow rivulets
from the melting snow
down the rocky pass--
the gang of us joyfully returning
to the fields where our women
hand us the reigns to a plow horse.

Does the Snowman truly exist, you ask--?--

all I can say is:
as I work the land
I swear I can hear
its echoing bellow
far away on the mountain--

faint, yes, but deeply felt.

As I feel that sound
I descend.
As I feel that sound
I ascend.

So I know why I am driven

but I still don't know by what.


© 2014, Michael R. Patton
searching for the new mythology

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home