Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Sacrificial Nights

bat flight - March 12, 2014s

author's note:

A companion poem to the last one posted...

I've had scary dreams, nauseating dreams, dreams that have weighed on me all the next day.

But I've never had any "bad" dreams.


SACRIFICIAL NIGHTS

Though in sleep my body needs
a good feathery rest...

my soul requires those bat wings
that trouble my eyelids--

agitated
by the day's erratic fuss
the upside-down angel
stirs a wind, swirls me up
with no care at all
for my coziness--

up--
only to be dropped
into the cold monk waters
so contrary to
the gentle dinner evening
I've just enjoyed--

down--
through the thunder of the depths
where I'm again shaved by electric fishes
with razor-sharp fins

to be beached the next morning:
in the sun, I burn from the cutting--
but though burnt, I'm never quite done.

From the repetition of such exercise
I've surmised:
no amount of sacrifice is ever enough--

apparently,
the sharpened point
can never get
too fine.

Perhaps that's why
we struggle so hard
to extend our lives
instead of surrendering
to the soft rest of death:

I know
I have so much more
to offer up
in the batty days and nights
of this dark angel.


© 2014, Michael R. Patton
dreaming steps

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home