Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Winter's Cave



author’s note:

A fitting poem, I thought, for the beginning of Spring.

Through March 22, you can get this poetry book for free on amazon.


WINTER’S CAVE

Sometimes, I retreat
to a Winter’s cave
and allow all my growling
to spread thin
over a lake of frozen stars.

But even when hibernating
the bear rises and falls
with each breath--
the waters slosh
underneath the ice
until the stars
break apart

and then I return

from a repose too sweet to hold.

Nonetheless
for a short while at least
I've regained
my gentle strength...

but knowing at any moment
I might accidentally stir the bear
and then be forced to contend
with its claws and teeth again.

Yet amid such contention
the two of us can occasionally
locate the balance of peace

then I'm able to enjoy
the slow indomitable roll
of awakened bear power.


© 2014, Michael R. Patton
myth steps

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home