Wednesday, April 09, 2014

The Legend of the Butterfly Soul



author’s note:

One last "grief poem"...

I'm putting together a collection.  In the process, I've discovered this consistent irony: each grief poem contains joy.


THE LEGEND OF THE BUTTERFLY SOUL

According to legend...

when lost in battle
our warriors can return
in the form
of blue butterflies

to help guide us through
our many trepidatious endeavors.

So when I sensed
those fluttering wings around me
I welcomed you
and waited

to hear your golden song

but you whispered
just these few words
then flew away:

before you can look skyward
you must first lower your eyes.


And what did I find
after following that epistle--?--

a mud mound of grief
heaped up on my plate.

But according to legend:
the black plate becomes golden
at the end of our hard banquet.

According to legend:
the butterfly will return
a second time

but only after
the one left behind
builds enough strength to swallow
the enormous lump
stifling his summoning song.

According to the minstrels,
this legend has passed
from one mourner to another
down through our dark ages

and when I am through
I'll beam its message too...


© 2014, Michael R. Patton
SOULTIME

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home