Sunday, April 06, 2014

Winter Sun



author’s note:

An appropriate poem, I believe, as we cross the bridge into Spring.


WINTER SUN

I'm thankful for that Winter season
--a time to live my grief--

I'm thankful for
the frozen brightness
that stung me alive...
thankful

for the burrow in the snow
with its deep warm shadow.

Before,
I thought this weight
held me down...

but now I realize
the feeling actually lifted me--
in the way that water
can resurrect
            a broken body.

A force created
from the sunlight
and the darkness
tore a jagged hole
in the lake ice

a frosty steam rose from the wound--

the exposed blue waters simmered,
heated by a colossus--a foreign heart,
lurking somewhere underneath.

When I listen closely now...

I can still feel that strong beat
sounding throughout my body.

A blessing from the season
of the clear Winter sun...


© 2014, Michael R. Patton
COMMON COURAGE

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home