Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Wound Furrow



author's note:

I've used "defeat" in many poems.

And "superfluous" has probably been in a couple.

But I don't think I've ever put the two words together.


WOUND FURROW

After dragging my sword
in the weakness of defeat
all the way back home...

I turned to discover
I'd cut a long mark
in the hard dry earth:

the mark was a wound

but the wound was a furrow--

was an emptiness...an openness
felt in the heart.

Yet also a challenge--
the cut, the furrow
demanded a response.

Before the fight, I'd felt so strong

but now to battle while feeling so weak
required a greater strength

so I didn't lie down, I kept my feet--

I begin to work on what lay before me:

why not? I thought:
hadn't I humbled myself enough
through loss?--

another defeat would be
superfluous.


© 2014, Michael R. Patton
GLORIOUS TEDIOUS: the book

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home