Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Digging the Trail



author’s note:

As a boy, I was led to believe that Hell was deep inside the Earth.

Later, as I started to dig, I discovered I'd been badly misinformed.


DIGGING THE TRAIL

When I worked as an undertaker
one night, I discovered
the real reason we dream
of buried treasure:

at the bottom of the grave
suddenly my shovel blade
hit a pocket of molten rock--!--

a fire, a light--a burst of brilliance
too soon gone...

Since that time,
the electric bulb
has never been enough
to satisfy my hunger...

since that time,
I've struggled along
with all you other
grimy miners--
sharing your fever

as we search for the precious ores--

veins
leading us slowly
down to the core.


© 2014, Michael R. Patton
myth steps

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Goldenrod said...

And, I venture to say that you will change an "a" or two down the road. I really like this poem, Michael! (And no, I probably don't know exactly what you mean!)

7:42 PM  
Blogger Goldenrod said...

I made an oblique reference to you, Michael, in yesterday's post. :) While I quoted from your 'author's note' directly, I didn't mention your name. Did you happen to catch it? (Haven't read your newest entry yet. Will do that in just a minute.)

10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home