Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Intense Gentle Essence

lady hair - July 16, 2014s

author’s note:

Mrs. Creighton, my high school English teacher, was always on our case regarding redundancies within sentences and paragraphs.

So the poem below is a type of revenge.

And yet I thank her, for helping me to keep my language honest.


INTENSE GENTLE ESSENCE

Knowing
I may be possessed
by a gentle spirit
if I enter that room...

I hesitate

because of the intensity

and yet, I am drawn inside

because of the intensity:

when I stand very still
and allow my heart to fill
until my brain stops
long enough

for those nerve endings
to unclench their tiny fists...

I can then sense
the subtle rhythmic waves
of her breath...
the warm thrilling mist
of her presence
within me--

it’s both too much
and not enough:
that essence...

collected then dispersed again
throughout the darkness
collected then dispersed again
throughout the darkness

the darkness within
the altar of my chest
the temple of my body.


© 2014, Michael R. Patton
new steps

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Goldenrod said...

I was left with a peaceful feeling after reading this poem, Michael. I found myself smiling. A nice reverie.

Was your use of the word "unclinch" deliberate? I paused there, trying to ascertain your exact meaning.

6:43 AM  
Blogger Michael said...

Every word used is used deliberately--but subject to change, upon review. My nerve endings sometimes--too often--seem to have tiny clinched fists. Hopefully, you don't have this same ailment.

7:49 PM  
Blogger Goldenrod said...

No, I don't think that I have ever had that same ailment, Michael ... sounds like it might be quite painful, actually.

1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home