Sunday, July 13, 2014

Monkey Dance Meditation

monkey grind - July 13, 2014s

author’s note:

A companion to the last poem posted...

Buddhist teaching tells us that the mind is a monkey chained to a post.

My monkey seems to have a very long chain.


MONKEY DANCE MEDITATION

At birth, I was blessed
and burdened
with an active bag of monkeys:

a musical carnival

and a test.

Though I did enjoy the party
the cacophony often drove me
to seek the still mountain lake.

A conflict, I thought
because I wanted to be
two places at once

but no--now I realize
my stillness has little validity
if I remain on the mountain:

the greater challenge
and the greater fun
comes from trying
to keep my gyro steady
after I've rejoined
the rowdy simian dance.


© 2014, Michael R. Patton
MYTHSTEPS: the blog

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home