Sunday, July 20, 2014

Spirits of the Sky

this confirms it - July 20, 2014s

author's note:

"Now is that a light in the sky or just a spark in my heart?"
       -- from "Waiting for the UFOs"
          by Graham Parker


SPIRITS OF THE SKY

I know a mirror when I see one

and so when I hear reports
of lights in the night sky
zigging
        and zagging
and zinging

I realize that's just us up there
buzzing around in spirit--

consider this fact:

just like the lights
I ricochet here and there
I shift colors
I blink on and off
without apparent provocation.

The behavior of those lights
only confuses us because
they're of our higher intelligence
which has designs
our lower intelligence
does not yet comprehend--

thus, the UFOs seem quite alien
--not of this Earth, but of a world
  light years away--

and we believe those beings
wouldn't have bothered
to travel such vast distances
if they didn't intend to aid us humans:

in them we see our hope--

“Descend to us, wise ones!" we plead.
"Save us from ourselves!"

But our childish cries fall flat
as the light show abruptly goes out
and the sky resumes its distant silence.

Nonetheless, our disappointment
burns off a little more dross

and from such loss
our earthly light slowly grows
brighter, ever brighter.


© 2014, Michael R. Patton
MYTH STEPS: the book

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home