Wednesday, August 06, 2014

Stealing the Moon



for the record:

The August Full Moon is known as the Sturgeon Moon.

The name comes to us from American Indian tribes who fished for the sturgeon at this time of year.


STEALING THE MOON

I strolled across
The Moon tonight--
down the street
so wide, the echo:

I felt as if I was stealing.

So maybe thieves rob banks
not just for the money--
they also want The Moon:

you burst open a gumball machine
for that feeling of release--
an elation of spirit--
dark freedom

but then comes emptiness

and without any sense of being cleared.

So, we continue to search
in a million different ways
for a spot of true moonlight.

I myself only luck into
the graces of The Moon
occasionally--

for instance:

while watching
a night spider pick its way
toward the center of a silver web
I may forget myself
and in the absence
become another me--
the one who can deeply imbibe
The Moon's soft light...

only to be startled back
as a frantic fluttering moth
disrupts the luminous spell.

Afterwards I'm surprised
--and a little frightened--
when I realize that I lost myself,
yet such moments of quiet clarity
intensify my desire for The Moon.

So despite the delicate difficulty
I keep trying to pick my way
into the center of that silken web...

© 2014, Michael R. Patton
MYTH STEPS

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home