Sunday, October 26, 2014

As the Duck Crosses My Path



author's note:

I gain so much from those surprising moments of synchronicity.


AS THE DUCK CROSSES MY PATH

At first, I'm impatient
because I must pause

then I'm distracted
by the comical waddling--

the little head held aloft
in an aristocratic manner

while the eyes seem so blank, so dumb.

But as a moment becomes a minute
I take time to appreciate
the delicate durable neck feathers:
   miniatures woven together
   to form a dense overlay
   with a flashing green sheen

ringed by a sharp white neck-band.

But my spell breaks
as the duck begins to quack--

I then hear an echo
of my own reedy voice

and perceive a deeper reason
for the crossing of our paths:

blinded by grand and fanciful ideas
I'm usually able to forget
just how ordinary my life is

but in the process, I lose sight
© 2014, Michael R. Patton
Common Courage: the book

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home