Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Contemplating the Face of Nefertiti



author's note:

This poem refers to the famous sculpture of Nefertiti now located in the Neues Museum of Berlin.  However, it came to me through a picture book.

Nonetheless, my response is authentic.


CONTEMPLATING THE FACE OF NEFERTITI

Her world is lost to me

and yet not:

actually
I'm just as ancient as she is

and can sense
something of that depth
as I peer into her deep presence:

in her silence I find my silence.

Her beauty leads me down--
below my trashcan junkyard
to a palatial dark elegance.

I'm an enigma to myself

and you're an enigma to me

but I can easily forget our mystery

and so she must remind me
again and again and again
with those opaque eyes--

eyes that seem to refuse us
their secrets

while boldly proclaiming
a truth beyond speech.


© 2014, Michael R. Patton
dream steps: the blog

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home