Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Sophie Sophie Sophie



author's note:

Many have speculated on the existence of a goddess religion in ancient times...

I now have my doubts.  Even so, I know the goddess is real.


SOPHIE SOPHIE SOPHIE

I lost Sophie so long ago
I can't remember when--

now she seems so foreign

though I see her everywhere:

in the glowing pearl earring
found suddenly in a dark theater

in an elegant hand print on
a frosted window
highlighted by The Moon

in a burning sunrise cloud

in the reflection of that cloud
on the gently burning sea...

so much of life says "Sophie" to me--

including the way
the peasant woman kneels
at the creek as she scrubs
yesterday’s clothes
--her long black hair
  flowing down to the ripples--

I stand there, smiling whitely
with my hands behind my back
acting casual as I remark
on today’s weather

while to myself I chant
this sacred thought:
“Sophie Sophie Sophie”.

But as she lifts her inquiring eyes
I'm startled awake
and ask myself,
 “What--
   what could she possibly see in me?”


© 2014, Michael R. Patton
dream steps: the blog

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home