Wednesday, December 10, 2014

The Torment of a Satisfying Song



author’s note:

A companion poem to the last one posted.


THE TORMENT OF A SATISFYING SONG

As a bird I was born
with this ambition:

to sing a song of the folk
that would echo every song
of every age and place--

a song to endure
through the many generations
until its beat became
part of our heartbeat.

So I began to sing
in search of that song

and though my tune
came out puny
I kept on:

I believing my sincerity
could amplify the ditty
into a symphony booming
throughout the mountains...

a delusion, yes
but one that kept me singing

though I became irritated
at my lack--
though my irritation
became an agitation
and then a torment,
a torture--

I kept on

as I began to hear
how such frustration
actually helped to strengthen
my sound...

So I still have hope
that those mountain peaks
may eventually echo back
a sky choir.

In the meantime
even as I'm aggravated
a deep satisfaction elevates me
as I continue to discover
the voice of my song...


© 2014, Michael R. Patton
listening to silence: the book

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home