Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Two Moments in the Forest



author’s note:

Wishing you many special moments in 2015...

But I guess they're all special, if we can just see it.


TWO MOMENTS IN THE FOREST

Afternoon sunlight
touches a spider thread
and suddenly I see
a thin prism gleaming
between two limbs.

But the vision gained in an instant
is lost in the next--
my eyes tear, wanting to catch
that rainbow again--
but straining only frustrates.

So I return
to my imagination--
in this way, I'm comfortably blind
to the woods I walk in...

until another beauty
begs for acknowledgement:

a gold Maple leaf on the path--
its points curled up to form
a hungry cupped hand aflame...

the quiet surprise of this sight
stills the ricochet
of my scatter-shot mind


as if a soft halo had abruptly
nested down upon my head...

looking up
I find an orange Autumn cloud
gliding with stealth out of the North
--perhaps to observe me

but then in a blink, I'm alone again

both cloud and leaf dispersed
by a sudden wind...

alone again

but reawakened
to the mystery...



© 2014, Michael R. Patton
listening to silence: poems of meditation

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home