Wednesday, December 03, 2014

Young God of Spring



author's note:

An appropriate poem, I think, as we approach the Winter Solstice.


YOUNG GOD OF SPRING

The little drummer feels bored
by the soft dead Winter...

How can I inspire him to drum?

I present a fallen leaf
in the cup of my hands
and try to describe
its delicate resilient history--

the burnt orange
actually an amalgam
of subtle shades gained
through intense weathering...

a lesson for him, I hope

but ignored as he seizes
and crushes the brittle leaf
to bits in his small fist--

flinging the fine powder
to the rising wind.

Pumped now with the power of life
that brat struts off--banging again...


© 2014, Michael R. Patton
dream steps: the blog

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home