Sunday, January 18, 2015

Freedom Feet



author’s note:

I'm not a member of the Polar Bear Club.  But hopefully, I'm not in the Hibernating Bear Club either.


FREEDOM FEET

Dulled by too much security
today, I let my feet breathe:

no socks, no shoes--open again

to the shark-slash of broken glass

to the scalding sting of boiling water

and worse yet:
the abrupt cold poison
of frightened snake...

but also free to feel
the shocking freshness
of wet Spring grass--

also free to squeeze
the luscious cool mud
between my pale toes.

Today,
I woke my nervous system
from its cobweb sleep
by creating bursts
of interior fireworks--
ignited by touch.

Today,
as my eyes traced
patterns of migration
in the wide-open sky,
my foot pads listened

to the veins of a river
coursing underground.

Today, I made
a dumb man a bit wiser

by again realizing
the value--the necessity--
of small acts of courage.


© 2015, Michael R. Patton
myth steps: the blog

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home