Sunday, March 08, 2015

Waking Up & Up



author’s note:

Yeah, waking up...

...but realizing that it's an on-going process...that no one is ever quite done.


WAKING UP & UP

I'm starting to see

how I've neglected so much
while under the shroud blanket of
my comfortable somnolence

I'm starting to see

as I'm slowly roused
by all the noise outside.

When I rise to investigate
the source of the disturbance
I find thoughtful human beings
--men, women, children--
running from the shadows
attached to their heels.

I am pained when I see our pain

and pained again
when I realize I can't help them

I am stirred

and find myself loving us all

even in our crazed belligerence

even in our somnolence

which, in truth
is never really comfortable

because of course
warm blankets can't kill the fear

and sleep becomes rather dull
even in these polka-dot pajamas.

So, despite the pain
I struggle to awaken

and in my efforts to rouse myself
I turn to face the shadows
attached to my heel...


© 2015, Michael R. Patton
finding Beauty: the book

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home