Sunday, April 12, 2015

Surrender to the Ice Cube

surrender to ice cube border - April 12, 2015s

author's note:

“Trouble?  You think I look like trouble?  I’m a poet!”
                -- from the movie Young Guns


SURRENDER TO THE ICE CUBE

I've found this treatment effective
when I'm burning in the heat
of inner conflict:

I move an ice cube
   in small delicate circles
from the left side
   of my forehead
to the right

then repeat this procedure
going in the opposite direction.

But though the medicinal cube soothes
both my physical and emotional self
I often forget to apply this tonic
when it's most needed.

Maybe I actually like conflict.
No...but yes.

Even as I sit here calmly
I can feel how the fire
wants to swell--waits to flare:

a vague sense of injustice
seeks a chance for expression

an excuse to explode.

I see explosions everywhere I go
so I know I'm not alone

and certainly not alone
in feeling remorse, afterwards.

But I dare not try
to squelch the fire--
when the forge dies
so do I...

on the other hand
those flare-ups also exhaust me!

To steady my flame
I must surrender
my fevered ego
to the cool of the cube...

I must surrender

or else
live in shame.


© 2015, Michael R. Patton
Butterfly Soul: the book

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home