Wednesday, April 22, 2015

The Ticket Taker

angel break - April 22, 2015s

author’s note:

I think of the job of "angel" as being minimum-wage work...

That is: they toil so hard and receive so little appreciation.


THE TICKET TAKER

Sometimes while working
at the entrance gate
I pretend:

I'm a wise archangel
admitting all in line into
a heaven they deserve--

even those in soiled shirts
even those with foul tongues
have paid the price...

some more, some less

but through their lives, they've paid.

As an angel
I've known both heaven
and human life...

so how can I refuse
anyone admission?

Yes, I know what they've done--
as humanity's angel, I've done the same:

having soiled my shirt
having fouled the air
I know their pain.



© 2015, Michael R. Patton
myth steps: the blog

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home