Thursday, May 21, 2015

Driving River



author's note:

A companion poem to the last one posted.


DRIVING RIVER

When I finally stopped
to listen to myself...

I heard an undercurrent
sliding below my surface--

I heard its demands
and began to understand
why I often find myself
in places I've been warned against.

I was warned: avoid the rocks

I was warned: avoid the mud

I was warned: avoid the depths

but the undercurrent says
those reasonable "no's"
must sometimes be usurped
by a greater "yes".

However,
common sense remains entrenched:

often when I hear
where the current's pulling me
I will thrash and flail

hoping to avoid the rapids
hoping to avoid the dead pool
hoping to avoid the deep channel

but I fight that urge to fight
and not just because I know
it's useless--

no, I want to submit
after having witnessed the benefits
of the many grand travails
of our river journey...

© 2015, Michael R. Patton
myth steps blog

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home