Monday, June 01, 2015

Hail, The Lowly Hero



author’s note:

Some days I'm dragon...and some days I'm draggin'.


HAIL, THE LOWLY HERO

After reading those childhood storybooks
I decided I should be a hero--

I wanted the best for myself.

But where were the dragons?
Where were the fair maidens?

How might I realize my high ambition?

In many of those stories
the great situation arrives
unexpectedly:

the quest suddenly trumpets...

with that in mind,
I would hope and wait

and fill the time by doing
whatever chores needed to be done:

I planted seeds, I pulled weeds
I stirred a wild stew

(my ingredients included
 old shoes
 and a bullfrog’s blues)

I cleaned rotten leaves from gutter pipes

and harder yet: I dug up stumps.

I did so much
but no matter how much,
never enough:

I fished a lake for sustenance
I carried jars of water from the well

and sometimes felt discouraged:
should a dragon-slayer be doing
such low household work?

Nonetheless
I could feel the strength
slowly growing in my hands

and what is a hero if not strong?

I asked myself:
am I not making peace with a dragon
as I sit here alone--

I'm rescuing myself
--not with grand flourishes
  but in gradual steps--

and perhaps in the process
also helping the rest of the world

and what is a hero if not helpful?

So though I still wait
for the great situation
I now work joyfully

undaunted
by this never-ending quest.



© 2015, Michael R. Patton
myth steps: the blog

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home