Thursday, July 30, 2015

My Small Center of the World



author's note:

At the age of nine, Sioux medicine man Black Elk had a vision in which he stood at the center of the world--Harney Peak, South Dakota.

But Black Elk also realized that anywhere is the center of the world.


MY SMALL CENTER OF THE WORLD

When I was small
and feeling so small
I'd climb a nearby hill
and become
the Center of the World--

I would shout to myself:
"one day I'll be a giant!"

But time has not solved my problem--
yes, as an adult, I often feel diminished

so I keep on climbing hills

but now,
when I reach the top
I'm no longer so childish:
loneliness segues into solitude
and amid the grand quiet
I experience myself
as both large and small:

in my depths
I know myself as the center...
in my depths
I also know: we all are.



© 2015, Michael R. Patton
dream steps: the blog

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home