Thursday, August 20, 2015

To Escape a Heartless Death



author’s note:

If I thought my poems only related to my own life, I wouldn't even bother.


TO ESCAPE A HEARTLESS DEATH

To escape
the hurt of this world
I go to see you

but then I hurt again:

sometimes, even a single word
--said in innocence--
can raise a cry from a wound

and as the old pain surges up
we defend ourselves by attacking
the one standing next to us.

But still, I go to you
because you know my wounds
and so, can help soothe the pain.

When I see your wounds
I feel your wounds
and when I feel your wounds
I feel my own, once again:

to ignore my wounds
would be death

and to ignore yours
would be heartless:

I go to see you
to escape a heartless death.

Such a dusty history!--
and yet, when I come to you
the world becomes new
because the world outside
disappears

then reappears
but in its greater glory
when I must leave.

I come to see you
because the deeper truth
can only be told
without words.



© 2015, Michael R. Patton
my war for peace: the book

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home