Thursday, September 17, 2015

A Naive Dream



author's note:

In my experience, dreams don't lie...

The problem is: I may lie to myself about the meaning of a dream.


A NAIVE DREAM

I had hoped to pull
the children of Winter
from their stale cellar
with that long strong rope

but because dreams tell the truth
as I tugged, I felt myself elevate

like a kite

while below me
the vast arctic land thawed
into patches of deep green.

But I woke before I could learn
what'd happened to those children:

perhaps I'd saved no one but myself

or perhaps the children had saved me

or maybe we'd saved each other.

I only know:
I'm going to keep on pulling.



© 2015, Michael R. Patton
My War for Peace: the book

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home