Thursday, October 22, 2015

The Need to be Naive



author’s note:

A companion to the last poem posted.


THE NEED TO BE NAIVE

Maybe our world was born
with a hole in its cup

because we never seem
to have enough of what we need

despite all the oceans
all the grand fields
and rich forests--

despite all the billions
of hearts and souls
filled with love.

We try to answer
this feeling of lack
but our winning tactics
are consistently disastrous

because
we're not yet naive enough
to believe the obvious:
there is enough for all of us.

I still can't quite believe
I have enough
and so
my survival strategies
are harmful to me
--harmful to us--

thus
I'm working to become
naive again...unafraid

and as I struggle
to open these eyes
sometimes, I see
the obvious so clearly:
the world doesn’t really
have a hole in its heart.

Perhaps when I can finally
keep my eyes open full time
I'll be able to help convince
some among those billions
how the hole in the human soul
is actually an illusion.



© 2015, Michael R. Patton
Common Courage: the book

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home