Thursday, November 12, 2015

Exploring North



author's note:

This motif is common in American Indian folklore:

The hero, having exhausted all other options--all other directions--goes North, to the place of mystery.


EXPLORING NORTH

Having examined
the folly of our motions
(which include my own)
I believe the human race
is designed to stumble

but I also believe
we are programmed
to go North
after we have finally
fallen down

even if we must crawl
we will continue on

to the North of gray twilight
--deepening into darkness--

to rediscover
the mystery we've ignored

and in such illumination
find better answers to old dilemmas
by asking better questions.

Maybe that belief is based
solely on hope

but from my own experience
I know we humans are capable
of discovering ways
to lift ourselves back up.



© 2015, Michael R. Patton
myth steps: the book

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home