Thursday, December 03, 2015

My Greater Desire



author’s note:

The destruction that brings
an eagle from heaven is better
than mercy.
         -- Robinson Jeffers


MY GREATER DESIRE

As I stand at the edge of the tunnel...

the dog begins to growl
!--sensing the danger--!

Yes, I've often relied
on the dog for my survival
but now I know I must accept
my greater desire:

to pass through the darkness

because
according to the wise ones
on the other side I can find
that place known to me
only on rare occasions
in the strange depths
of my heart--

a garden we must earn:

once I've arrived
a golden beam will angle down
through the shadows of trees
to ignite

a dark blue pool--an oasis

that's waited so long
to reveal its fiery light.

The dog is wise in its way
but can not understand
such a brilliant need.

So, I refuse its guidance
and enter the tunnel naked:

my walk both bold and humble

as the faithful dog
(fearing for my safety)
follows in the righteous mud...



© 2015, Michael R. Patton
myth steps: the book

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home