Thursday, December 24, 2015

Song for the Tree Huggers



author's note:

Here's a term I often hear used derisively: tree hugger.

Well, if you're losing your balance and about to fall off a cliff, I think you might be relieved to find the arms of a tree.


SONG FOR THE TREE HUGGERS

The tree tells me:

if suddenly
your love rises so high
that you feel you must
either release the flow
or die

then please encircle me
with your desperate arms
and I will accept your offering--

I will accept your burden
I will accept your suffering:

In breaking yourself open
you will heal.

But maybe you can't feel
your love--
maybe you hurt so much
you can't bear to touch
any thing at all--

not even a devoted tree.

If so, I trust
your greater desire
will eventually
push you past your fear
and you'll straggle here
to embrace me

and in that surrender rediscover
your overwhelming love...

and once done, return
to help others find
their way back
to this tree.



© 2015, Michael R. Patton
cartoons of Christmas past

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home