Friday, December 18, 2015

The Dilemma of the Man in the Egg



author’s note:

Since my house
burned down, I now own
a better view
of the rising moon.
       -– Masahide (trans. Beilenson/Behn)


THE DILEMMA OF THE MAN IN THE EGG

In the story of the man
confined within an egg
we confront this dilemma:

though the shell now feels
a little too tight, and though
his nourishment has gone stale
our man still prefers this familiar shelter
over the unknown outside.

Fortunately
even such paltry circumstance
can not stop him from growing

and so the shell will likely burst
before our man blindly
extinguishes his life.

Not the most heroic story, I realize

and yet
the man's inevitable transformation
gives me hope:

hope for our world

and hope for myself.



© 2015, Michael R. Patton
common courage: the book

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home