Friday, December 11, 2015

The Greater Drive



author's note:

When in doubt, I'll use the words "maybe" and "perhaps"...

I do not use either word in this poem.


THE GREATER DRIVE

While adults are often
so inflexible...

children can twist themselves
into incredible pretzels

but the adult is rigid
for the same reason
the child is elastic--

they're both just trying to survive.

Yet in protecting its life
the child may nearly kill itself

then later
if the child as an adult
tries to free its mind and body
the process will feel like
many tedious heartrending
deaths:

to untwist
I must go against
tactics that seem to be
an essential part
of my very being.

Sometimes I like to imagine
I could simply say
"no, it's just not worth the effort"

but I know if I did try to retreat
without winning release
I would then have to fight
a drive of even greater strength...



© 2015, Michael R. Patton
glorious tedious transformation: the book

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home