Friday, January 22, 2016

Healing Cough



author's note:

While working on the poem below, I questioned this stanza: "but who doesn't take in / so much toxic stuff / beginning with / the first breath?"

After considerable consideration, I agreed with myself: it ain't easy being a human being, no matter who you are.


HEALING COUGH

It's good to cough
I tell myself

as another fit of hacking
works to toss out
the noxious particles of my past:

back then, I had no choice--
no better air to breathe

but who doesn't take in
so much toxic stuff
beginning with
the first breath?

No, I refuse to lament
(even as hellfire burns in my chest)
instead I take joy in the present
because some inner force keeps rising--
determined to heal me.

My good news is our good news
and so, I feel the urge to bellow!...

but alas
for the moment
I can only cough.



© 2016, Michael R. Patton
myth steps: the blog

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home