Friday, January 29, 2016

Searching for a Shadow



author's note:

The path is under your feet at
All times.
        -- Lao Tzu


SEARCHING FOR A SHADOW

I told the wise one
how a wild light had infused my blood

and forced me up from my bed
on the longest night
to walk in a naked fever
over fields of fiery ice

until a shadow fell across my path:

a monolithic silhouette stood before me
framed by massive full moon--

a giant unknown
raised an arm, aimed a spear
straight at my heart

but as the moonlight glinted
off the arrow tip, I blinked
and woke to break the spell

though relieved
I felt weak
with disappointment--

I knew, intuitively
I'd allowed my lower instinct
to block fulfillment
of a grand encounter.

But the wise one refused
to sympathize, saying:
what you now search for
may appear again today
as you walk down the street

but most likely you will wander
for an era that will seem like an eon

until you've built the strength
to match the challenge

until you have risen above
a natural fear you can never release...

and then what? I asked
(though the question seemed childish).

Afterwards, you'll return
to find me gone

and your story
will join a Sun chorus of voices--
   each one singing
   its own version
   of the same song.



© 2016, Michael R. Patton
myth steps: the blog

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home