Friday, February 19, 2016

Opulence



author's note:

As they say in the movies: "based on a true story".


OPULENCE

One bright day
in the early years of my search...

I wandered a verdant rolling campus--
  hoping to find the party
  promised to me
  upon entering adulthood...

Finally
at the top of a hill
I came upon a clearing
where young folk sprawled
all around an electric stage:

a band strutted and pranced
just as fools and musicians did
during the reign of the Sun King--

I could think of only one word
to describe such a Summer life:

“Opulence”

and maybe because I drank
from the communal cask
or maybe because moods
are indeed contagious
I soon became thick dizzy sluggish

and then
   with what remained
   of my feeble mind
I wondered if
we'd all become numb
by a life of too much

just too much:

the big beat did not move us
nor did the clouds or the Sun--
we had even lost our infatuation
with the winking wings of butterflies.

In the time since that time
the wine has continued
to overflow our cup

and faster, ever faster

though we can't keep up
we dare not ask the flow to stop!

When too much
is not enough
I'm afraid to stop
lest I die from thirst.

I think we fear
that our drunken palace
must eventually, inevitably
collapse--

we imagine an aftermath
of life reduced to screwworm survival.

But since the future seems unstoppable
we've decided we might as well drink up--
drink up!

Maybe our future history can't be stopped
nonetheless, I still have hope:
because I imagine
a different aftermath
after that collapse:

one in which we fill another cup--
a different cup: a grail cup--a cup I hope
I can find deep within my crowded chest:

that's the future I've chosen
to believe in:

a grand experiment, this life--
no failures here...only learning...



© 2016, Michael R. Patton
dream steps: the blog

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home