Sunday, April 10, 2016

Between a Jaguar & a Worm



author's note:

First rule of editing: cut your favorite lines.

For instance, from the poem below: "so giant we are, yet so small."


BETWEEN A JAGUAR & A WORM

Yes
I believe creatures can indeed
shape-shift

'cause I've seen jaguars
accept the lie told to them
and crawl under stones
to become worms.

However
a big cat can benefit
from living subterranean

if the jaguar-worm
feeds upon
the rich black loam
   while deepening
to a fiery cosmos
spinning within.

But as it grows
the worm will slowly fill
the safe space
and thus,
begin to suffocate:

in order to survive, we must die--
we must
shift from this worm life.

Eventually, when I look back
a sigh may slip from my lips

but since I know
life as a worm gives a return
way beyond reckoning...

I will reject all regrets.



© 2016, Michael R. Patton
myth steps blog

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home