Sunday, April 17, 2016

Spinning



author's note:

I believe we're all scientists. From the beginning, we're all experimenting.


SPINNING

Science tells us
nothing is ever completely at rest--

even when my body becomes a carcass
its trillions of vibrant electrons will still spin

but what about what animated that carcass?--
will the "me" that made this poem continue?

To answer that question
I'm free to go beyond science
and believe whatever I please

yet I base my belief, in part
on acute meditative observation:

even as my limbs
slowly lose momentum
something within gains strength--

an inner spinning force
keeps on rising--refining its pitch.

No--I can't accept waste:
after death
the am that I am
will still be spinning--
somewhere
in some form
I'll be spinning.

Some will surely say
I hold to this belief
in a futile attempt
to alleviate my fear

but even if that's true
this concept can still lift me
to a place of starry wonder:

we are perpetual motion
--spinning tops--
that continue to rise
after this human life stops.

Though stars collapse
and planets disintegrate
this Universe and its beings
will keep on spinning...

constantly building, I believe
into something greater
than what we have been...


© 2016, Michael R. Patton
myth steps: the blog

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home