Saturday, June 18, 2016

Used-Car Politics



author’s note:

“Political reality has little to do with reality.”
        -- Mark Hertsgaard, The Eagle’s Shadow

I returned to this poem as a way to deal with the pain and frustration of another campaign season.


USED-CAR POLITICS

Why are we so easily deceived
by those who sell us ideas
in the manner of a used-car dealer?--

because as children, we want to believe!--

governed by our fanciful imagination
we buy into the unreal reality
of an impractical political practicality.

But before long
a wheel or two falls off
and we become disillusioned
with the illusion
and curse the clunker we bought.

I'm a child when I blame
(and I still blame much too often)
but I'm also a child
when I dance and sing

so though we must
become responsible adults
let us not abandon the child
in the process:

the child in us who hopes
--who believes--
we will create a better world
as we grow up.

However
we should calm that child down
whenever we see a TV ad
for another used-car dealership.



© 2016, Michael R. Patton
Survival: the book

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home