Friday, September 30, 2016

Miniature Golf Perspective



author's note:

Maybe what I was told as a boy is true: sports build character.


MINIATURE GOLF PERSPECTIVE

Sometimes I play miniature golf
just to shift my perspective:

when I see
that model course
I see
a little litany of lessons

and in so seeing, I then see
the course we call "real"
as a round of lessons as well

and if I can later recall
the silliness I felt
as I struggled to deal
with things so fancifully small
I'll deflate a bit
and as a result
love more:

maybe I'll again feel
the love I feel
for the real course--
even as I struggle, I love
that daunting windmill.

I also try not to forget
the many lessons--
for instance:
how I got past that alligator
by rolling right into its jaws.

That may not be big
but it's still important.



© 2016, Michael R. Patton
glorious tedious transformation: a poetry book

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home