Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Evolution of the Species



author's note:

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.
         -- Dr. Johnson


EVOLUTION OF THE SPECIES

When I lived
as a wild hirsute beast
I grunted
at the beautiful pleasures
of this Earth--
I grunted
at the pain

and felt no need for language

until one night...

when I suddenly saw
a living mystery
of moonlight and shadow
bound within the tangles and barbs
of this mundane jungle.

Since that eternal moment
I've struggled to express
the beauty and pain
of our human life--

I've struggled to maintain
that awareness.

Yes, I often seem to regress--
I slip--
and sometimes when I slip
I snarl and spit

but then the shock
of striking down
awakens me
and I realize again
the cowardice
of trying to kill the pain--
of trying to reject
awareness

and in so seeing, I deepen--
   in deepening to the pain
   I deepen to the beauty.



© 2017, Michael R. Patton
Butterfly Soul: a poetry book

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home