Monday, February 20, 2017

Headlight on the Hilltop



author's note:

Easy to forget that we’re in outer space.


HEADLIGHT ON THE HILLTOP

Yeah--
what I saw was probably
just a car headlight
switching from low to bright
then from bright to low
up there on the hillside.

Nonetheless
the sight thrilled my heart
before I could stop to think

and when
the light blinked off
a few moments later
(or maybe it was an hour)
my eyes began to search
the heavens in hope

even as I told myself:
you'll find nothing above
except a litter of stars


and indeed
though I did strain
that's all I could see:
distant balls of gas

but so many...
more than I could possibly take in--

once again
I felt our universe to be
something so much greater
than my small mind
can comprehend...

once again
I felt microscopic
in the mystery--

wonderfully insignificant.

Yes, I told myself
probably just a headlight
beaming from low to bright
then from bright to low
over and over again


but even so...

a blessed event.

© 2017, Michael R. Patton
Searching for My Best Beliefs: a book

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home