Sunday, March 05, 2017

When I Return



author's note:

I think most people have some type of hillside.


WHEN I RETURN

Though this hillside
has often helped me heal
now, I dare not lie down
for fear I'd never rise again.

Grief taints all my usual comforts:

the small blue wildflowers...
the gray stones...
the grasses
I've loved so often
with the spirit
that uses these neurons.

But despite the taint
I remain
because these things
--these beings--
know me:
they feel my grief
and empathize.

To ease their worry
I'll hold steady
as a feeling that seems relentlessly endless
slowly drains down

into a hidden reservoir--

a reservoir
I will ignore
to keep from being overwhelmed
as I do my daily chores...

a reservoir
that will eventually
overwhelm me
unless I return
to this green hill--

return when
I feel the pull
to deepen down
to deepen
as I deepen now.

When I return
I will see and feel
the taint left on the flowers
the stones and flowing
grasses

and in knowing
my grief again
I'll realize
how strong I was
in my weakness--

strong enough
to fight the urge
to lie down forever.

When I return
I will lie down
in these grasses

like a lover
I'll fall open
once more--

confident
of my courage.



© 2017, Michael R. Patton
Butterfly Soul: poems of death & grief & joy

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home