Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Brief Wings



author's note:

As they say in the movies: "based on a true story".


BRIEF WINGS

For a moment this morning
I again felt those wings:

suddenly--without warning
that stiff pain struck me
right between the shoulder blades--

the tension pinned me straight up.

But wings are quite personal
so I pretended nonchalance
and eased on down the street

even as I sensed
those wing sprouts opening
ever so slightly--
just a bit more than before--

this time
maybe all the way
to the first pinion joint.

Though eager as ever
I dared not push
for a greater unfurling:

such impatience
actually seems to make
the wings retract.

But despite my caution
the sprouts soon shrank back--
as they have
so many times before.

Yes, they'll come again
but I never know when--
could be tomorrow
or many months from now.

My deepest meditation
can't open them
nor do they respond
to my most reverent prayer
or my greatest good act

so I try to distract myself
with honest daily chores.

But of course
my mind sometimes drifts
to my fervent wish:

to one day soar.

However
I wouldn't fly all the time
nor merely for pleasure
but only when
I deemed the moment
appropriate--

when my high flight might benefit us all.

Don't snicker--
this goal must indeed be possible
because one night I flew
anywhere I wanted at will.

I often use that dream
to lift myself
when I despair
my wings will never spread.

© 2017, Michael R. Patton
Searching for My Best Beliefs: a poetry book

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home