Saturday, May 06, 2017

Noise & Symphony



author's note:

"I'm listening."
       -- from the TV series Frasier


NOISE & SYMPHONY

When I heard
my steps ringing
ringing--
ringing out

I realized
we are all walking bells--

clanging together
to create
a gigantic cacophony.

I believe
we have a higher choir
hidden within that rush mash of noise

but though I strain my ears
I’m not yet clear enough
to clearly hear.

However...
I have discerned
a soprano song
buried in our burl--

sometimes
it weeps like a bird
but other times
it laughs like a bird.

Occasionally
when I bless myself
with a still moment
our hubbub begins to settle--
begins

to take the shape of a symphony

and then the lament
and the laugh
become one in harmony.



© 2017, Michael R. Patton
Searching for My Best Beliefs: a poetry book

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home