Monday, July 24, 2017

On the Other Side of My Eyelids



author’s note:

I believe we're all working in the same way...

...and we never retire.


ON THE OTHER SIDE OF MY EYELIDS

Years ago, I woke to find
a whirling circle of sun-fire
descending from a fog
hovering above me--

threatening
yet harmonious--
like the aerial view of a hurricane:
a swirling blaze
of orange and gold tentacles
spiraling
into a cool aqua eye.

I felt myself lift--drawn in
despite the fire

and in sudden response
the eye expanded
to envelop my vision
so I could know
how the soft surface hue
deepens down into
a well of cobalt blue--

ominous and yet
I wanted to dive in

but in an instant--by instinct--
I shut my shocked eyes

and found relief
for my palpitating heart
in that old familiar darkness

however...
amid the growing stillness
I could sense
the awakening desire
of a higher instinct.

In answer
I tried to open again
but soon learned:
I'd not yet earned
more than that brief glimpse.

Ever since
I've worked to build
the strength needed
to accept
that which I want
yet fearfully reject.

Yes--
in fatigue, I often sloth

but even then
I can sense the mystery lurking
on the other side of my eyelids

so I remain tantalized...

driven.

© 2017, Michael R. Patton
Glorious Tedious Transformation: a poetry book

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home