Thursday, April 26, 2012

A Hymn of Hucks and Hums



author's note:

You know you wanna make me--Shout!
Kick my heels up and--Shout!
Throw my hands up and--Shout!
Throw my head back and--Shout!
Come on now--Shout!
           -- The Isley Brothers

 
A HYMN OF HUCKS AND HUMS

I like to think
that whatever I shout
or even squeak
is not lost, but somehow
reverberates as energy

upward through cloud
and ozone to wander
across the wild unfathomable fields
of this mysterious Universe

until perhaps
another sentient being
detects and collects
the transmission
that leapt or crept
from my throat--

a being that belongs
to a higher order
and thus can penetrate
the mumble jumble
of my hucks and hums
to recognize the hymn of a spirit
with a heartful mind
or a mindful heart.

Perhaps that's what
we really want
from those aliens we imagine
look down from above
like a parent to a child:

we want another to see us
as we truly are
and then to convince us
yes, we are that diamond
shining in our dreams...

I'm not yet convinced I am
but sometimes
when I shout, or even squeak
if I listen closely
in the mix, I can perceive
the hint of a hymn
and then, if only for a moment
I believe.


© 2012, Michael R. Patton
searching for the new mythology

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home