Wednesday, June 17, 2020

The Water of Many Rivers



author's note:

When I first heard “go with the flow“, I believed the flow to be out there.

It is out there.  But now I know it’s also in here.


THE WATER OF MANY RIVERS

I sat down in solitude at the river
to meditate upon this question:

What are we?

My mind wanted to struggle
so only after much time
and confusion
did I realize the obvious:

we are the water of many rivers.

Consider the evidence:

as with the waters of a river
sometimes we must switchback
in order to go forward.

We carve new channels--
change is part of our nature:

even when we appear stationary
there are undercurrents;
even in our stagnant pools, we brew.

I've finally learned
if I try to contain myself
I will overflow!

I've finally learned
I can't fight the current and win...

still, it's hard not to argue
especially when
I'm headed towards the rapids
or when I must go slow…
down to a crawl.

At such times, I reassure myself
with this knowledge:

water, instinctively, finds it own level,
water, instinctively, finds its way home...

© 2020, Michael R. Patton
finding Beauty: poetry ebook

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home