Friday, September 15, 2023

That Relentless Fire of Life

author’s note:

I’ve never been cool.


THAT RELENTLESS FEROCITY OF LIFE

I believed I could find my peaceful waters
if I sat down
and forgot the world outside.

But when I closed my eyes
I discovered a fire flickering inside.
My breath seemed to stir the beast.
The heat intensified--flames began to leap.

What had I done? What could I do
with that growing fire of life?

I witnessed potential hazards:
I saw people flash up
and crash down.
I saw others turn their fire inside out
and devour the tinders of this world.

To try drown my flames would drown my life.
To try to run away
would blow the blaze into wildness.

I had to learn to live with
the gift that possesses.

To help with acceptance
I again sat down
and concentrated down
but this time allowed myself to fully feel
what can still seem unbearable--
that relentless ferocity of life:
what we all hold
what we all bear.

Years later
and my education continues:
I’m still trying
to burn strong without raging.
I’m still trying
to love being a sacrificial offering.

Any success is partial at best.
But I’m at peace with the thought
that I may never be at peace.

Listening to Silence: poetry book
myth steps blog
dream steps blog
you tube channel
© 2023, Michael R. Patton

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home